Mel Tucker and Tom Izzo have a big weekend ahead for the future of Michigan State football and basketball. Who’ll be on campus?
Despite being in the middle of a three-game losing streak, Michigan State football is facing a massive recruiting weekend that will have an effect on the future of the program.
Tom Izzo’s basketball program, too, will be hosting a number of top targets as Midnight Madness takes place on Friday night at the Breslin Center. This is the first Midnight Madness event since 2019 due to COVID-19.
Suffice to say, Michigan State football and basketball will be putting in work off the field — and court — this weekend.
This might actually be the biggest recruiting weekend since the first month of official visits back in June. There will be a number of top 2023 and 2024 targets on campus to check out Tucker’s football program.
According to Justin Thind of 247Sports, these are the names that will be in town:
- Jordan Hall, 4-star LB commit
- Ja’keem Jackson, 4-star CB (committed to Florida)
- Kedrick Reescano, 4-star RB commit
- Ashton Porter, 4-star DL (committed to Northwestern)
- CJ Blocker, 3-star CB (committed to Utah)
- Eddrick Houston, 5-star DE
- Walter Matthews, 4-star TE
- Wardell Mack, 4-star CB
- Fletcher Westphal, 4-star OT
- Boo Carter, 4-star RB
- Jaylen Thompson, 4-star CB
- Ben Roebuck, 4-star OT
- Joseph Cryer, OT
- Khayree Lee, OT
- Mikey Crawford, ATH
As you can see, there’s a common theme here: Tucker is getting guys to visit who play on the defensive line, in the defensive backfield, or on the offensive line. All three are major needs and he can sell early playing time to all of these guys.
Izzo is also hosting a few top targets on official visits from the 2024 class, according to Thind and other reports.
- Jase Richardson, 4-star G (Jason Richardson’s son)
- James Brown, 4-star C (friend of Jeremy Fears)
- Jonathan Powell, 4-star G
Quite the weekend for both coaches. Let’s just hope Michigan State football can make things interesting vs. Ohio State.
Despite the tough season for the football team, the future seems very bright.