FOOTBALL
Mel Tucker reportedly suspended by MSU, Harlon Barnett named interim HC
What a flurry of a news day.
Things work quickly when scandals become public knowledge and Michigan State football will reportedly move on from Mel Tucker.
Boy, have things ever worked quickly in this Michigan State football saga regarding Mel Tucker.
According to a report from Brett McMurphy on Sunday afternoon, just about an hour before a press conference was scheduled by the university, Tucker has been fired.
Mel Tucker fired as Michigan State’s coach, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. Secondary coach Harlon Bennett will be MSU’s interim coach w/former coach Mark Dantonio expected to assist in an undefined role. MSU investigating allegations Tucker sexually harassed activist/rape…
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) September 10, 2023
It’s wild to think that Tucker was on the sidelines on Saturday, celebrating a blowout win over Richmond and looking ahead to a big matchup with Washington, but news broke after midnight about his involvement in a sexual harassment case. That has led to Michigan State speeding up the timeline regarding his future.
Now the Spartans will be looking for a new coach after it sounds like Harlon Barnett will be named the interim. This is just a tough situation for everyone involved and it puts some pressure on the entire remaining coaching staff and the players.
Barnett has been with the staff since 2020 when Tucker was hired and he was brought back after spending time with Florida State. He was originally with Mark Dantonio’s staff and helped create the ‘No Fly Zone’ in 2013.
Tucker’s career ends at Michigan State with a 20-14 record.
If the rumors are true and Dantonio will be joining Barnett’s staff, it will feel like the old Spartans all over again. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing for the rest of the season as the veteran coaches will hold everything together. Barnett and Dantonio working together again is a great move for the program.
Unfortunately, the Tucker era has fizzled out over an issue he had been preaching to his team to avoid when he got to campus in 2020. Just a sad situation.
Keep it posted here as we update you following the press conference at 5 p.m. ET.
UPDATE: Tucker has been suspended until the investigation concludes. Belief is that he will be fired following that.
Michigan State will wait until Title IX investigation is completed, to make Tucker's move official, sources said. MSU will claim dismissal w/cause to get out of paying Tucker's $70-plus million buyout. School expected to disclose more information in 5 p.m. news conference. https://t.co/LwcMXKSjaD
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) September 10, 2023
